Week 6

     This week I took a youtube class that was one hour long. It was called "Guided Ashtanga Half Primary Series" taught by LarugaYoga. After taking the Ashtanga yoga class with Andrew Eppler, I really enjoyed my experience with Ashtanga yoga. I wanted to continue to implement it in my practice. I searched up Ashtanga Primary series classes on youtube and that is how I stumbled upon her video. 

    Comparing the two classes that I have taken in Ashtanga yoga, it was interesting to see how the classes can have different vibes. I think it depended on how the classes were being taught. In the class with Andrew, he modified the postures for beginners and moved at a faster pace. Andrew also explained the poses well, sometimes including the Sanskrit but explaining the poses mostly in English. In the class taught by LarugaYoga, it was slower than the class with Andrew but still moved relatively fast. She did not explain how to do the moves well and spoke mostly in Sanskirt. I feel as though the method in which the class was taught also affected how the class was portrayed. Since Andrew was able to see all of us, he was able to slightly adjust some of our postures and interact with us. The lack of interaction with LarugaYoga is probably why I did not enjoy the class as much. 

    In both classes, they chanted in the beginning and in the end as a ritual practice. I think the purpose of the chants is to bring spiritual awareness to the practice. While I was practicing, the chants changed the energy I had for the practice. It put me in a focused mood for my practice. I am really enjoying my practice. I think with my newfound enjoyment of Ashtanga Yoga, I may continue to practice even after this class is over. 

Comments

Popular Posts