Week 7

     This week I did a twenty-minute yoga class taught by Sarahbethyoga on youtube. It was a full-body yoga stretch class. It was really helpful for my sore muscles after working out. She went through each movement step-by-step, helping me to be able to go through the asanas without having to look at her video. Her tone was soft and slow, helping to facilitate a calming and meditative environment.

    The class was a good amount of time to fit into my schedule. Yoga classes used to be two or more hours long to go through a proper meditative process. Nowadays the classes have been getting shorter and shorter. Some classes now can be ten minutes or shorter. I feel as though this has to do with Western culture and the consumer's schedule. 

    Western culture has to do with being continually busy and on-the-go. Many times, people don't have time to fit a workout into their schedule. I feel as though this is why the classes have been getting shorter. Most Western people do not have time for two or more hour classes. So to cater to the consumer, classes and the way yoga is being taught has changed from the typical yoga in the East. 

    I find it interesting how people can change something to be able to fit it in one's culture or time. I cannot wait to try more classes along with my Ashtanga yoga classes.

Comments

Popular Posts